Occasionally frequent postings on music, films, news; Warning: includes drivel.

07 August 2005

You don't know how lucky you are

So there it is, the end of my Indian adventure. I had a great time, both learning in the hospital and enjoying exploring the country to a very limited extent. The Indians are generally very friendly and the hospital had a good atmosphere about it. Iwas a bit ill a couple of times, but at least I didnt catch anything too bad and survived the roads. Everything I took with me was covered in a thick layer of dust (half my suntanwashed off when I got back) and I have some fairly slow healing wounds which should give me some nice scars to remind me of the month. I would really like to go back and travel more, especially to the north and see the differences there. As for long term, Im not sure if I would ever like to work in India there is a lot of bureaucracy but there is a lot of need, which will only worsen with the increasing numbers. Would I recommend the hospital for an elective? Yes and no. I didnt really get to doanything (compared with a tiny hospital in the back end of nowhere where you might be seeing and treating lots of patients) but I had a good time with the other students and a chance to see lots of interesting conditions in stages that I will probably never see here; I enjoyed the trips to the villages and the chance to see the houses in which these people liveand how their lifestyle contributes to their health problems. It was good to not just be a tourist but to be staying in the one place for a reasonable amount of time, having to travel around like the localsin autorickshaws and buy things from the local shops (Ghandi Rd). Ran out of steam there...

Back to the UK now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you got back safely... I was wondering whether you'd been eaten on the way home too!

Shall look forward to post about your wedding as it is very sad that I cannot come :( although I expect I might see you back in ninewells before you get around to posting!!

Hope it all goes well and I'll see you next when you're a married man!

Elaine