Occasionally frequent postings on music, films, news; Warning: includes drivel.

21 October 2004

Everybody knows that I only have myself to blame

Hello once again nonsense seekers.
On Tuesday Andy and I arrived back to the flat to discover a tracksuited ned rifling through the detritus in my room. With a few shouts and some adrenaline-fuelled menancing walking towards him said boyo threw himself out of my now unlocked window, falling a height of around 2m to the ground (I expected to see him lying unconscious under the window), thumping his legs against my blind and bending it in half before running off round the corner. Several minutes later the police arrived, having been called by some of our neighbours who heard the breaking of the window in the utility room. I was unable to identify them and although Andy had a better idea, he couldn't be much more definite. So that was a bit of excitement for us. More worringly we're unable to find our large, fairly sharp, knife from the kitchen...

But anyway, nothing was taken.

The Frames - Burn the Maps is getting better with every listen - it certainly is different from For the Birds and Dance the Devil, even Glen Hansard's voice sounds more raw and the whole thing is an emotional experience. Livening up my morning walks.

Just got Elliott Smith's From A Basement on the Hill today, which seems pretty good; some interesting production noises (never completely getting away from The Beatles) and a slightly heavier sound on some tracks. Quite fitting that I got it today as it is a year to the day from his death. I don't feel sad listening to this album; certainly I couldn't listen to his music for a couple of weeks after his death - this is an unusual thing for me, the deaths of people I've never met have never affected me before - but this album is different, new and seen in a retrospective light; perhaps I merely feel regret and disappointment at this being his final work. His lyrics suggested that he was aware that he losing the struggle against the inevitable. It still felt untimely. One of the greatest tunesmiths of this era.
Also The Delgados - Universal Audio. I am a little apprehensive at this point, feel it could take a fair amount of listening to appreciate this album as much as their previous work.

Hope all is well with you in innernet land.

No comments: