Occasionally frequent postings on music, films, news; Warning: includes drivel.

28 October 2004

Apologies for the lack of posting of late, it's been a busy week.

Another musical "hero" of mine passed away this week. I guess he was getting on, but I didn't think he'd actually ever die. Thank you John Peel. Although I was a somewhat irregular (and a both surprised and equally disturbed) listener to his best known radio show, I was an avid follower of Home Truths (sad admission though that is). Purely by accident I discovered this delightful programme when it woke me one Saturday morning. It's not even that the stories people sent in were particularly interesting, but the way Mr Peel treated them was amazing...he could make the most mundane thing (and believe me many of the stories were pretty boring on paper) actually fairly interesting and amusing and made people feel like they were wanted. The best radio voice ever - comforting. I also admired his restless nature, always looking for new sounds and new music. 'Being stuck in a rut' is not a phrase you could use about the man. I hope I'm like that in my 60s (if I ever get there). I wish I'd listened more now.

Anyway that's my 2 pence to add to the overwhelming praise for the man.

No comments: