Occasionally frequent postings on music, films, news; Warning: includes drivel.

02 October 2004

Did you say, no this can't happen to me?

Just back from lunch with (the rather nice) Helen at the rather nice Howie's restaurant in Dundee. It was great to have an hour and a half of relaxing and eating satisfying food; satisfying rather than over filling. My days of thinking of a massive plate of food as enjoyable eating are nearing an end. Perhaps this is what growing up is about; quality over quantity. Perhaps this should be more relevant in the things I choose to spend my time on. I am amazed at how quickly this week has passed and how many things still remain to be done. How many things I would have done; still I don't want to plan every second of my time. What kind of a life is that? (I thrive on danger).
Music of the day:
Jeff Buckley - Grace. I see that an expanded version of this album has just been released. Now I like the original version of the album and I think he was a good singer - perhaps a little grandiose at times (maybe this is merely a reaction to the number of pale copy-cat voices - Matt Bellamy J'accuse (quote from Punk icons NOFX - "I think Radiohead would be really good if they were good. Because when they have a good song it’s really nice, and there’s like two per album. I think Muse is way better than Radiohead, way better. Better songwriting." It's always good to see some intelligent criticism out there)) - but do we really need to hear any more "previously unreleased" material? The words "cynical cash-in" spring to mind. I can't really see myself buying a new version of an album I already own (although I hear they're going to re-release Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain much in the way they did with Slanted & Enchanted [thanks Ross]), but maybe some people are more obsessive - in saying that if there was a 10 year anniversary edition of The Bends with something significantly new, it would be hard to resist.

(Just in case - the danger thing was a joke).

3 comments:

dr. ross thompson said...

It is called 'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA's Desert Origins', and here is the tracklist:

Disc 1: "Back to the Gold Soundz (Phantom Power Parable)"
01 Silence Kit
02 Elevate Me Later
03 Stop Breathin
04 Cut Your Hair
05 Newark Wilder
06 Unfair
07 Gold Soundz
08 5 - 4 = Unity
09 Range Life
10 Heaven Is a Truck
11 Hit the Plane Down
12 Fillmore Jive
13 Camera (Cut Your Hair B-side)
14 Stare (Cut Your Hair B-side)
15 Raft (Range Life B-side)
16 Coolin' by Sound (Range Life B-side)
17 Kneeling Bus (Gold Soundz B-side)
18 Strings of Nashville (Gold Soundz B-side)
19 Exit Theory (Gold Soundz B-side)
20 5-4 Vocal (Gold Soundz B-side)
21 Jam Kids (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain bonus 7-inch)
22 Haunt You Down (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain bonus 7-inch)
23 Unseen Power of the Picket Fence (from No Alternative)
24 Nail Clinic (from Hey Drag City!)

Disc 2: "After the Glow (Where Eagles Dare)"
01 All My Friends
02 Soiled Little Filly
03 Range Life
04 Stop Breathin
05 Ell Ess Two
06 Flux=Rad
07 Bad Version of War
08 Same Way of Staying
09 Hands Off the Bayou
10 Heaven Is a Truck (Egg Shell)
11 Grounded
12 Kennel District
13 Pueblo (Beach Boys)
14 F*cking Righteous
15 Colorado
16 Dark Ages
17 Flood Victim
18 JMC Retro
19 Rug Rat
20 String of Nashville (instrumental)
21 Instrumental
22 Brink of the Clouds (Peel Session)
23 Tartar Martyr (Peel Session)
24 Pueblo Domain (Peel Session)
25 The Sutcliffe Catering Song (Peel Session)

CR, CR is my favourite Pavement album, so I am looking forward to seeing it with all the b-sides added in.

And I don't mean to be pedantic, but it was Slanted and Enchanted, not Brighten The Corners, that was released in expanded form a few years ago.

Rock on.

Unknown said...

Pedantry is the spice of life, I always say.

Unknown said...

And secondly, it is certainly looking like another one for my ever increasing list of cds to buy if I ever come into a large inheritance.
Does anyone else dislike my meandering (at best) writing style or is it just me?