Occasionally frequent postings on music, films, news; Warning: includes drivel.

03 December 2004

Nothing good can come of dead nostalgia

Hello.
Thank you to everyone who was thinking of and praying for the family over the last week.
Grandpa's funeral was yesterday. The service itself was good; not in an enjoyable way, but the scriptures read at funerals always give me hope and joy rather than despair;

John 14:1-4 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

I was glad to hear the stories of my Grandpa's life, times before I was born and the people to who he was able to minister both in an official capacity and the more informal side. He was certainly a man of the people, not in any false political way either, and the attendence at the funeral mirrored that.
Personally, I will always remember the time I was able to spend with Grandpa last summer, helping in the garden, and the random chats about sport, past holidays and his never ending interest in Scotland and my studies here. My thoughts and prayers will be with my Granny as she tries to adjust to a life without him.
Apologies for the somber nature of the posting this week, but I imagine you will understand.
Thanks.

No comments: